At the end of a long, busy day, you may be tempted to fall into bed without your daily cleansing routine. That’s probably okay if you do it only occasionally. But at Skin Tech, we know that if you make a habit of sleeping with your makeup on, you may be risking your skin’s health. Here are some important facts to know:
- Leaving your makeup on clogs up your pores, and usually, acne is the result. This may create breakouts you otherwise wouldn’t have, or it can make existing acne breakouts even worse.
- The environment is full of free radicals, and makeup can trap them on your skin. Free radicals break down the skin’s natural collagen, which can result in premature wrinkles.
- Your skin is the natural covering that protects the rest of your body from infections caused by exposure to environmental stress. Leaving makeup on for too long can compromise this barrier and put you at risk of infection.
- With makeup blocking the skin’s natural healing processes, dead skin cells and oils on the surface of the skin are never exfoliated so that new, healthy cells can take over. This rejuvenation process gives skin its healthy glow. Without it, skin appears dull.
- Most makeup products contain some type of perfume or other irritant that is normally not a problem. However, when left on for too long, these irritants can affect your skin and cause a rash.
- Moisturizers cannot penetrate the skin when it is covered with makeup, so if you don’t wash first, the benefits of moisturizing will be eliminated.
- Lipstick that is left on for too long can cause dry, chapped lips. Moisturizing lip gloss, on the other hand, can be beneficial.
- Eye makeup can also be a problem. Mascara that is left on for too long can make eyelashes brittle and susceptible to breakage. Other types of eye makeup can get in your eyes and cause irritation. Follicles and oil glands on eyelids can become clogged and infected with bacteria, leading to unsightly bumps that may have to be treated by a doctor.
It is extremely important to keep up with your regular cleansing routine at night. Equally important is ensuring that you are using the right products for your skin type and the type of makeup you are removing. Your Skin Tech consultant can assist you with any questions you have about the best products to use for your individual skincare needs. Search for products online or visit our store at 4819 Kilauea Ave, #6 in Honolulu. We’re here with great advice and instruction, as well as the best skincare products available today.