There’s no doubt about it: the sun’s rays can damage your skin. The danger of skin cancer, a potentially deadly disease, is certainly a foremost risk. But that’s not the only reason to protect your skin from the sun. The sun’s rays can break down skin’s collagen and elastin, both essential proteins and crucial components of healthy, youthful looking skin. To avoid the effects of premature aging on the skin, proper sun care is a must.
Too much sun exposure can affect the health of your entire body as well. Whenever you get a sunburn, your skin is dehydrated. Your body responds by sending more blood to the area, resulting in dehydration elsewhere. It also focuses on the sunburn recovery. This can be a problem for athletes who regularly workout in the sun – your body focuses on that sunburn recovery rather than your exercise recovery.
Sunburn is not the only sign of damage. Even a healthy-looking tan means that your skin is in self-preservation mode: the darker pigments are a sign that it is protecting itself from further damage. Eventually, sun exposure weakens the dermis layer of your skin, resulting in wrinkles, uneven pigmentation, and the danger of cancer.
These are all important reasons to make sun protection a priority. Following these important tips will help:
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15, and apply it often.
- Select a broad-spectrum product with both UVA and UVB protection.
- Use a moisturizer with sunscreen under your makeup every morning.
- Reapply sunscreen after swimming and exercising.
- Have regular examinations by a dermatologist after the age of 40, and more often if there is a history of skin cancer in your family.
- Avoid midday sun exposure, when the sun is directly overhead.
- Remember that the sun’s rays can reflect off surfaces like water or sand – and these reflected rays can also cause sun damage.
- Also remember that sunrays cause damage even during cloudy weather, and that even indoor lighting can expose you to harmful UVA rays.
- Finally, stay hydrated from the inside. Always drink plenty of water.
An effective skincare routine that protects you from sun damage is an important part of your overall health and anti-aging routine. At Skin Tech, our sun care products are specifically formulated to protect your skin both indoors and outdoors to prevent the damage that causes premature aging in your skin. Search for products online or visit our store at 4819 Kilauea Ave, #6 in Honolulu. We’re here with great advice and instruction, as well as the best skincare products available today.