As the saying goes, you can learn a lot about a person by their eyes. The skin around your eyes is thin, sensitive, and requires special care to avoid the signs of aging.
Most complaints about the skin around eyes fall into three categories: wrinkles/crow’s feet, puffiness, and dark circles. All three of these conditions occur because of the special properties of the skin around your eyes:
- Under-eye skin is thinner, and this worsens as you age.
- It lacks sufficient oil glands to maintain moisture
- It has little subcutaneous fat tissue.
Your eyes are surrounded by lots of muscles that control facial movement, which means that most of your expressions involve moving the skin around your eyes. These expressions, especially squinting, can cause wrinkles under the eyes.
Sun exposure can increase melatonin around the eyes, adding to the appearance of dark circles.
Lack of sleep can cause both puffiness and dark circles under the eyes.
Skincare that specifically targets the area around the eyes can help reverse the effects of several of these factors. Try these tips:
- Select moisturizers and other products specifically formulated for this type of skin.
- Moisturizing is crucial! However, avoid product with excessive oils that can clog pores.
- Be gentle with the skin around your eyes – avoid rubbing, pulling, or harsh washing. Try applying products with your ring finger, as it is weaker than your index finger and will provide a lighter, gentler touch.
- Even a moisturizer formulated for faces may be too harsh around the eyes, so be sure you are using products specifically designed for this skin.
- Finally, always use care and avoid getting products like moisturizers and sunscreens in your eyes.
Skin Tech’s eye care products are specifically designed for the special care required for this sensitive area. At Skin Tech, our consultants are ready to help you find the best products to use for all of your individual skincare needs. Search for products online or visit our store at 4819 Kilauea Ave, #6 in Honolulu. We’re here with great advice and instruction, as well as the best skincare products available today.